Monday, May 21, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 05/21/07: Walt Gaby, Prospero, Voracious

1. Walt Gaby, KHS class of '46 sent me his book of memoirs containing a ton of history and memories of Kellogg along with details of his fascinating career and other things. He also sent the booklet he put together for the class of '46 sixty-year class reunion. He graduated with friends of my mom and dad's and it's a wonderful document as well.

2. It was really fun today in Shakespeare class to enter the world of The Tempest and to begin discussion of the relationship between art and nature, knowing we are laying the foundation for Prospero's huge insight into himself in Act V. I can hardly wait until my students see Prospero's progress to this life-changing realization he has.

3. I bought Snug this long beef strip of treat that you'd think he could chew on for hours and he devoured it in about twenty minutes. His voracious joy was remarkable!

1 comment:

Pinehurst in my Dreams said...

Dang - didn't save my comments the first time.

Oh well, I prattle on. . .

Just made an observation of how you anticipate and enjoy the surprise of your students when they reach the "ahah!" in the classroom and do the same (anticipate and enjoy) the joy Snug experiences when you gift him with a chew treat.

It is a gift of your personality that demonstrates that when you love something. . .you like to create an atmosphere of surprise and take joy in the surprise as much as the recipient!