Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 05/14/07: Straddlers, Lear?, Giddy

1. I have nearly finished the compelling book, Limbo: Blue Collar Roots, White Collar Dream by Alfred Lubrano, a book of over 100 interviews plus Lubrano's excellent insights into the way people feel who have moved out of the working class into the middle class. I don't know when I last related so deeply to a book.

2. Is the conclusion of King Lear nihilistic? Inspiring? What do we learn from King Lear? These questions anchored today's thoughtful discussion in class.

3. Snug goes jumpity, yelpy nuts when Molly comes home because she often takes the dogs out back to play "ball".

1 comment:

Pinehurst in my Dreams said...

I need to read that book, and the Shakespearian Play in order to make any intelligible comments on those topics.

As for the dog going nuts when someone comes to play. . .our Oz-Dog, almost turns inside out when my oldest daughter, M, comes over for the same reason. She usually plays with her first thing, and the dog knows it! It's so cute to see them get excited when the kids come home - to play!