Thursday, May 3, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 05/03/07: Authentic, Praise, Pert

Good morning JK!

1. Writer Dan O'Brien gave an inspiring reading from his book Buffalo for the Broken Heart and then was a most genuine, authentic, appreciative, and generous guest at a lunch that mostly students and two of us faculty attended. I was happy to be able to invite two of my students and they enjoyed very much sharing the lunch table with such a fine writer and a good man.

2. It's always gratifying and reassuring to have a student hang around class for a minute after the other students leave express appreciation for the course: both Carol and Dee did so tonight and I was especially grateful because they loved studying Catch-22 which has become one of my favorite novels ever.

3. An old friend of my father's emailed me today to tell me how my father got his nickname "Pert". I never knew it was derived from my Uncle Harry telling him in the shower at the YMCA that he had a "Dirty Pecker" which got changed to "Perty Decker" and was shortened to Pert.

1 comment:

Pinehurst in my Dreams said...

I wondered about the nickname. Thought it might be Perty something. . .but never in my wildest imagination. . . LOL